Participants at the July DBE networking luncheon learned more about the 2018 tax changes. Held on July 20, 2018, at the Blue Moose Bar & Grille in Lenexa, guest speaker Angela Motsinger of Motsinger CPA Tax & Accounting LLC previewed the new federal tax changes for 2018 and how the changes might affect DBE businesses. She discussed how to understand and fill out tax forms, maximize deductions, and avoid common errors. She also offered tips and resources to help make tax time go smoothly.
Helpful Tax Planning Tips
- To maximize your tax-saving strategies, be sure to meet with your accountant early to allow time for tax planning.
- If you’re not sure how to adjust withholding, check out the IRS’s online withholding calculator.
- Ask employees to fill out a new W4 every year so that you are always up-to-date.
- Make sure that you notify your accountant and/or the IRS of any name or address changes as soon as possible to avoid missed notices.
If you couldn’t make it to the July DBE networking luncheon, you can watch Motsinger’s presentation on our YouTube channel.
Motsinger also announced two upcoming DBE events.
- DBE supportive services is hosting a free website building workshop on August 23 from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. in Topeka. Spaces are limited so RSVP soon to hold your spot.
- Booths are still available for this year’s Construction Career Expo. The event will be held September 25, 2018, at the Kansas Expo Center in Topeka. DBEs are encouraged to participate, and KDOT funds will be available to pay the booth fee. Please contact us for more information.
Planned for the third Friday of each month, the DBE networking luncheons are held at various locations across Kansas. Each event features a topic and guest speaker as well as ample time to network with fellow participants. In August, the website workshop will be held in lieu of a luncheon. Check back for the September luncheon details and guest speaker.